Best Hunting Scent Eliminator 2023: How to Use Them Effectively
Does the Best Hunting Scent Eliminator Really Work?
Our grandfathers were once able to successfully hunt animals without the use of any scent elimination strategies.
If the wind is blowing in their favor, that is!
If not, they can set up multiple stands and choose which ones will help them make the wind work in their favor.
With all of the hunting scent eliminators available, we can continue to enjoy hunting even when the wind isn't blowing in our favor.
What Is the Best Hunting Scent Eliminator?
The best hunting scent eliminator will depend on the type of game you’re hunting and the environment in which you’ll be using it.
Generally, a good quality scent eliminator should be able to eliminate odors quickly and effectively without leaving behind any detectable residual smell or residue.
Here are some of the key features to look for when choosing a scent eliminator:
- Odor Neutralization: Look for a product that destroys human scent at the source by attacking the odor-causing microbial cells.
- Scent Masking: Some scent eliminators also offer masking agents to further cover up any trace smells of human presence. These usually come in the scent of Natural Earth which can blend in with the environment and make it difficult for the game to detect your presence.
- Natural-based Formula: Make sure the scent eliminator you choose is made with natural ingredients that won’t harm the wildlife or environment. Natural-based formulas are often more effective at eliminating odors and can be safer alternatives to products containing synthetic chemicals.
- Effectiveness: Most importantly, make sure the scent eliminator you choose is highly effective at eliminating human scents and leaving you undetected by the game. It’s best to do your research and read reviews to get an idea of how well it works in the field.
- Durability & Convenience: Make sure the scent eliminator you choose has a long shelf-life, is easy to use, and can be applied quickly. Additionally, some scent eliminators come in multiple forms such as sprays or wipes which can make them more convenient depending on your needs.
- Long-lasting Effect: Look for a scent eliminator that offers long-lasting protection and is capable of eliminating odors on the body, clothes, and hunting gear. This ensures that you remain undetected in the woods and can help keep you safe from predators for a long period of time.
- Price: Of course, price is always an important factor to consider when purchasing a scent eliminator. Make sure you are getting the best product within your price range and that it has all of the features you need.
- UV Blaster Additive: UV Blaster technology is a great addition to any scent eliminator since UV Brighteners in your hunting clothes can sabotage all of your hard work.
Deer and other animals can see UV Brighteners, so your scent eliminator should contain an additive that will neutralize these brighteners as well.
How to Use Scent Eliminators Effectively?
Getting the right scent eliminator for your needs is only the first step in achieving success in eliminating odor.
To effectively eliminate odors, you must know how to use your product correctly. Here are some tips on how to maximize the effectiveness of hunting scent eliminators:
- Level-Up – There are many hunting products available to further boost your scent control efforts. Take advantage of them.
- Apply liberally – Apply the scent eliminator liberally and evenly over your body, clothing, and gear for the best results.
- Give it time – Allow the scent eliminator to work fully before heading out on your hunt so that you can achieve maximum odor-blocking power.
- Reapply often – Scent eliminators break down over time, especially when exposed to sweat or rain. Reapply your scent eliminator as needed for best results.
- Follow directions carefully – Be sure to read and follow all instructions that come with your scent eliminator so that you get the most out of it.
The Steps to Best Scent Elimination Strategies
- Wash hunting clothes with unscented laundry detergent
Unscented laundry detergents remove dirt and grime, but won’t leave behind any fragrances that could give away your position. They are specially formulated to destroy odors and attack hard-to-remove stains.
2. Wash your Hair and Body with Hunting Soaps, Body Wash, and Shampoo
These hunting hygiene products not only leave your hair and body squeaky clean and hydrated but also completely scent-free. They are designed with odorless compounds to help you stay undetected.
3. Condition your Hair with a Hunting Conditioner
Hunting conditioner will deeply hydrate and restores your hair to its natural beauty and shine while keeping it scent-free and looking great.
4. Apply Scent-Eliminating Spray
Scent-eliminating sprays help reduce any odors present on clothing, either in the form of human body odors or laundry detergents. Make sure to spray your boots and gloves, as these are often the most overlooked items when it comes to scent elimination.
5. Carry Scent Eliminator Wipes with You
These are highly effective when it comes to reducing odors. Field wipes can be used on your face, hands, and other exposed skin areas to help reduce any scents. They are also great for wiping down surfaces that you touch with your hands, such as equipment and hunting gear.
Bonus Best Scent Control Preparation
Keep Facial Hair Trimmed
Our thick mustache and beard all have the potential to absorb odors—a fact that shouldn't be overlooked! Any trapped odors in facial hair can transfer onto the air when you exhale or move around, giving away your position to the game.
Change Your Boots & Socks
One of hunters' most commonly overlooked scent control tips is changing your footwear. You should rotate between different pairs of boots and socks every time you go out in the field. Not only does this prevent odors from being trapped in the fabric, but it also provides you with extra comfort and protection.
Don't Wear the Same Clothes Every Hunt
It's best to rotate between clean pieces of clothing that are best suited to the outdoors and hunting.
This should be done to ensure that no odors are trapped in the fabric, making them easier to detect by game.
Air Out Your Gear
It's best practice for hunters to air out their gear after every hunt. Not only does this help eliminate any odors that may have been trapped in the fabric, but it can also help prevent the long-term build-up of odors.
This can be done by hanging your gear outside on a clothesline, allowing the sun and breeze to do the rest.
One of the best hunting scent control tips is to stay downwind of any game you are hunting. This will help to ensure that any smells or odors that may be on your clothing are not picked up by the animal. It's best practice to stay downwind of any game you are hunting at all times.
These simple steps can help you remain undetected on the hunt – just remember that using the right scent eliminator is only part of the equation. Make sure you practice proper application techniques for maximum effectiveness.